Monday, July 26, 2010

Yardsale

Tenaj enjoying her moment
I yell at my children all of the time. I also don't mind when other people politely correct my children either.  Goodness, I was corrected on many occasions as a child.  However, it's different when someone is outright rude to your child or any other child. 

Recently, my daughter helped a friend with a yard sale.  She worked with another young lady to encourage neighbors in the trendy Takoma Park neighborhood to buy their wares.  The items were true steals and the girls had a chance to laugh gossip and be creative in their sales techniques.   I beamed with joy as my older daughter took to her new tasks, while my little one pranced around, watching her sister with adoration. 

The day was definitely perfect.  I entered the house to prepare lunch.  I returned to the yard, with hot dogs, lemonade, and chips, only to find my oldest daughter visibly shaken and a bit distraught.  I went into a mild panic mode.   You see, my daughter is usually pretty level headed.  It takes a lot to rattle her and I admit, she can be pretty clueless when people do mean things.  My husband is the realist, while I have sheltered my kids from a lot of things.

Tenaj, Phoenix and my niece Krystal
As I set the food down, I noticed  that some of the goods were sold.  "Wow.  You both sold quite a few good sales while I was inside!"   My daughter turned to my with a wry smile, "We did.  But there was a problem.  As we were yelling, 'Yard sale!  Come get fantastic good for a bargain', to everyone passing the house, the guy across the street yelled back- 'Of course we know you are having a yard sale.  It's quite apparent.  You don't have to advertise.'   He came back five minutes later with his friend and they purchased a table.  I felt weird, even as his friend purchased the table."

Normally, I try not to react, because my temper is quick.  I calmed myself down and I reiterated to my daughter that unfortunately, there will always be miserable people in the world.  I couldn't help but wonder, why would someone be so mean-spirited to children and teenagers.  True, my daughter is rather tall for her age, but she still looks like a child, not a grown-up.  Perhaps the guy felt guilty about his words and came back to purchase items.

I hate when my children have unpleasant experiences.  I know that every situation forces them to learn something and to get stronger. But all children should be allowed to be children.  

No comments:

Post a Comment