Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Sesame Street - Always Inspirational

Daily, I listen to NPR, watch Telemundo, CNN, the BBC and anything considered news .  I am a true news and political junkie.  So, when I stumbled across NPR's All Things Considered Segment on Sesame Street's Song- "I Love My Hair" I was glued.

Sesame Street  head writer and Muppeteer, Joey Mazzarino, Sesame Street, wrote the song for his 5-year old daughter, Segi. 


The little puppet sings about loving herself and appreciating herself.  The video teaches self-esteem and acceptance.  I was brought to tears of joy (again).  The video reminded me of Carolivia Herron's book, "Nappy Hair".


Tenaj and Phoenix, Fall 2010

Growing up in the midwest, I was blessed to have a mother and father who showered my sister Tasha and I with praises.  Our parents helped us to learn how to love ourselves.   I could always look at my beautiful mom and just love everything she represented.


As a mother, I can see how happy my girls are with themselves.  There are so many external factors that can easily influence a child.  However, like many children, my daughters, Tenaj and Phoenix, are constantly discovering life.  I watch Sesame Street with both girls and am constantly amazed with the segments.  My amazement transcends to my memories as a child.  Thank you Sesame Street!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment