Thursday, March 3, 2011

Buffet and Karaoke

I am 21 weeks pregnant and craved vegetable stir-fry and sushi in DC during the middle of the week.  Normally, such a request is not odd, but we were not in the downtown area or one of the trendier neighborhoods where everything is open late.  I turned to my wonderful husband Paul, who always has the answers. He whisked me away with a big smile and his classic, "I got this".

Fifteen minutes later, we were near Iverson Mall, at a restaurant called Seafood Palace Buffet in Temple Hills, Maryland.  I am uber-allergic to seafood, but thankfully, the odor does not hit you when you enter the door.  As usual, my husband knew everyone there. The ambience was pleasant and the environment very clean, and family-oriented.  Across from us, sat a group of men discussing their day and lives.  Unfortunately, I didn't speak the language, but they seemed happy.  Behind us sat a small group of military men and women who celebrated a comrade's birthday, while adjacent to us sat a small family who just seemed excited to spend time together.  

Once seated, we headed to the back of the restaurant where fresh sushi was being prepared and the hibachi grill (I hope this is the right term), was turned up for massive fresh stir-fry.  Fresh fruit glistened in the light as delighted children and adults filled their plates.  There was movement everywhere and it was only 8pm.  Cooks were moving swiftly to refill trays with steaming hot food.  I was overwhelmed.

In the midst of the dishes, the fresh sushi and hibachi grill, there were an array of pots filled with soup. In the largest room, I heard Karaoke. Karaoke?  Yes, Karaoke.  Someone was already trying to croon a popular tune.  On top of that, there was a stage with the various Karaoke performers dancing up a storm.  I was in disbelief, Karaoke at a Buffet with a host who introduced the night and the performers. 

I don't do well at buffets.  I usually get my plate, a bit of fruit and call it a day.  But, I was truly mesmerized by the activity in this place.  As we prepared to leave, my husband murmured that the place was filling up.  I peered into the main room and sure enough, there were swarms of people entering the restaurant.  Folks were getting their food and dancing to the rhythms that emanated from the Karaoke Hall.  I smiled as we left.  My darling husband always knows how to pick a place that not only tickles me, but has a great environment and people.

Karaoke at a Buffet...truly a sight to behold.

2 comments:

  1. I have been craving sushi like crazy during my pregnancy! I am trying to avoid even the veggie sushi because of the sodium, but I want some soooooo bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I didn't get the sushi afterall. They didn't have vegetable sushi, but I had an amazing vegetable stir-fry. Glad I am not alone on this one.

    :)

    ReplyDelete